Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Suicide over statistics?

I'm going to kill myself, or my laptop. One of us has to go. And I like my laptop a lot! So I think it will have to be me...

I'm busy writing up my dissertation for my Masters degree and all has gone relatively smoothly...until now.

On Friday I produced a graph. It's a very pretty graph. It's blue and green and fits well into a document in MS Word! And yesterday (Monday, the next week) I attempted to produce a second graph of the same type, using the same program and procedure, and the damn thing won't work! I can't figure out what I have to do to get a graph! It's driving me insane! And to add insult to injury, my supervisor has promised to help me, but is nowhere to be seen!

Grumble, grumble...

2 comments:

Athena said...

I totally get that frustration! As I have been battling the same deadly combination of stats and research, perhaps we could arrange a mass suicide? We could form a cult and everything ;)

Seriously though, good luck - hope it works out and your supervisor resurfaces! And in the meantime, take heart in the fact that the rest of the research is going smoothly and at least the first graph has pretty colours and fits neatly in a Word doc :)

Candice said...

Wow - scarily enough, you seem to follow the same logic I do, where I debate either killing myself or moving to Cape Town!

I hope that the program has since worked. Alternatively, you could try my favourite technical solution - exorcism. Let me know if you need some holy water! (yes, this coming from the Jewish girl...)