Monday, June 15, 2009

It could be anywhere...

So this hasn't been my best weekend ever. Admittedly, it's been a pretty good one except for the little bumper-bashing that I was involved in last night. It wasn't a fun experience. And I had a pretty good track record as far as traffic accidents go...

Anyway, that's not the point of this post. At the moment I am house-sitting for a couple who have taken a long weekend off, seeing as Tuesday is a public holiday here in South Africa. I can't remember which public holiday it is. We have so many here (in fact, we have 12 days off a year!). I suppose that's what happens when your country has a political revolution and is liberalised after an extended period of imposed unilateral control.

I've just googled it and apparently Tuesday is Youth Day.

So, having spent the day out and about, I returned this evening to discover feathers all over the house. They appear to be from a hoopoe which, at some stage, must have somehow gotten into the house. I just hope that it was able to escape. I don't want to open a cupboard and have a bird fly out at my face...

4 comments:

sarah said...

oh no!! Is my dear old pal lywoo ok?!?

Candice said...

Bummer about the bumper bashing. :(

Hope you find the hoepoe - and that it's as cute as the one in the pic!

PS - my word verification is "hoolywo"

EEbEE said...

hoepoe's have nasty scent glands. if it was still in your house you would be able to find it by following the musky smell.

We are always a bit hesitant to ring them because the stuff gets all over our hands. Yuck!

Unknown said...

Hello! Thanks for stopping by! So it seems that we're both from the same town. Small world, I might just follow you. Have a fab week xoxo