Saturday, February 26, 2011

I'll miss you SO much!

Given that I will be leaving my alma mater, Wits, in the not-too-distant future, I have been thinking a lot about how much it has meant to me to be part of it. The other day, while on the hunt for food, I was reminded of one of the more fun aspects of Wits' charm: The quirky promotions that seem to happen on campus on a regular basis. Luckily, I had the presence of mind to snap a few on my phone, before the promo broke up!

Where else in the world am I  likely to encounter giant walking fruit on my lunch break?!

I'm not entirely sure why the giant fruit were hiding under black sheets, especially seeing as it is the middle of summer in Johannesburg (usually around 30 degrees centigrade in the shade at this time of day...). The one on the left is a giant lichi, in case you're wondering...

Behold, the giant granadilla! You can also make out the giant mango behind him and what appears to be an orange too...what the other one is...I have no idea.

Even giant fruit get tired! Here they are, parking off on the grass for a well-deserved break.

This, amongst other things, I will really miss when I'm gone.

3 comments:

EEbEE said...

When I lift Wits the thing I missed most on campus was that section in the postgrad parking lot where you could do sweet handbrake turns.

So you're leaving huh? What comes next?

Anonymous said...

It's Wits, the black sheets must be academic gowns! I have also seen fruity academics at Wits. Loved this post.

Luke said...

Eebee...don't even go there! I'm trying to focus on the PhD! I'll jump off the 'what next?' bridge when I get there!

Anonymous, you have a very good point! Wit's is littered with old fruit academics!